Mold in the home is no joke, and once you’ve spotted it you’re sure to be asking yourself a number of different questions; how deep has it gone, should I get someone to look at it, how did I miss this for so long, is it possible there are more mold colonies somewhere? All of these questions and more slide through your mind in rapid fire succession as you begin to grapple with this new and oh so much more elaborate and interesting than usual home maintenance project.
The bottom line, whether or not anyone wants to hear it, is that if you watch your house like a hawk, checking the potential problem places on a regular basis and dealing with anything you find promptly, you might not ever have any serious problems with mold in your home. Continue reading
With the increasing concern of mold growths in many parts of the country, manufacturers have now resorted to producing paperless drywall, which is more resistant to mold than the traditional drywall. However, in spite of the benefits offered by paperless drywall, some homeowners still see it as too costly. In the long run, it might be more beneficial to install the paperless drywall version which is more likely to keep off molds than the traditional version is. After all, mold removal in itself can be a costly affair.
Should you throw away furniture that has been contaminated by mold or can moldy furniture be saved? Deciding what to do with mold-infested furniture is not always a straightforward decision but whichever course of action you decide to take will depend on various factors. For you to undertake mold remediation on wood, the mold needs to be visible. Your decision may also depend on whether primary or secondary contamination has taken place.
Primary contamination takes place when a piece of furniture directly facilitates mold growth given the moisture level of the furniture. For example, a wet seat or a piece of furniture that absorbs water following floods or leakages in the building is directly supporting mold growth. Secondary contamination occurs when a piece of furniture is close to other items that are mold infested or is placed in a mold-infested area. Even though the piece of furniture is not directly supporting mold formation, it can easily become contaminated due to proximity.
Molds in the bathroom can be a sore sight. The bathroom is one of the areas that are most prone to mold growth and contamination due to the high levels of moisture and water in this part of your home. Every time you run the shower or the sink tap, paddles of water form and if these water paddles and wet surfaces are not dried soon enough, they create an environment that is conducive to mold growth.
Additionally the paddles of water evaporate, saturating the air with high levels of humidity. The vapour from hot showers and baths also increases the level of humidity in the bathroom. A good number of bathrooms are poorly ventilated, compounding the problem off mold formation. While small mold growths may be harmless, an acculmulation of mold can pose several health hazards to you and your family including, sinuses, asthma, rashes and a host of other allergic reactions. Getting rid of accumulated mold is also expensive and time consuming.